There was only a little difference between this time and all the other times he had tubes placed....HE wanted me to go back with him while he was "put under". Not my favorite thing to do! Usually I just say "goodbye" and have him walk back with the nurses. Then I don't have to be there when he falls asleep...but yesterday was different. We walked back after having been "prepped" by the anesthesiologist as to what could happen, and how he may react. I had never known that 95% of people fight the anesthetic. Adults, children, any age...right before they go under. Supposedly, they don't remember it, but it wasn't anything I was looking forward to watching, let me tell you! So I stood there, waiting...and waiting for him to breathe in the mask. Waiting for the"fighting" to ensue, at which point I would no doubt burst into tears and go running out of the room (or at least that's what I had pictured myself doing in my mind). Well, to my relief, he did not fight anyone. He fell asleep right after he looked at me with a look of sheer terror that I know I will remember for the rest of my life, but no fighting! Boy was I relieved that he was in the minority! And yes...as soon as I was out of eye-shot of everyone in the operating room, I was an absolute mess. Tears were flying all over...only lasting a quick moment, but flying none-the-less.
His surgery went well. We were finished with it within an hour. I got to go snuggle with him in the recovery room because he did not wake up as easily as he fell asleep. He felt nauseated and was very confused and agitated with the great amount of pain that he was in. They "maxed" him out on morphine, which I guess was a lot because he
We were finally allowed to go home when my Prince awoke from his slumber...and started drinking a little while keeping it down. We got home, made him a "bed" on the couch, watched tv and while I was picking up his
The rest of the evening was uneventful. He slept, sipped and snacked on 5 Popsicles, played Nintendo DS until his eyes popped out, and slept again. He is feeling pretty good this morning, sipping on Gatorade, and eating Jell-O. Thanks for the prayers and we are definately hoping *fingers crossed* that this will be the final time we have to do anything about his tubes :)
Off to the kitchen! The Jell-O won't make itself!



2 comments:
That poor baby. What a bummer. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well!! Thank you Jesus for good surgeons and we pray this keeps strep throat and ear infections at bay.
great post! I really can feel what you must have gone through.
Post a Comment